Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Architecture Preview Assignment #1

Nautilus House, Mexico

1. Javier Senosiain
2. 2007
3. Naucalpan, Mexico
4. You can visit it
5. It cost 218,000 dollars
6. It was build for a four person family who was tired of living in a conventional home. They wanted to change to one integrated to nature. 
7. I picked this building because it is very unique. I have never seen anything like it. The two main things that really stood out to me were the giant shell shape and the really pretty and colorful pieced glass window in the front. 

Atomium, Belgium

1. Andre and Jean Polak 
2. Originally built in 1958 but renovated 2004-2007
3. Brussels, Belgium
4. You can visit this place
5. It cost 93,513 dollars
6. It was built to depict atoms because in the 1950's, when it was first built, there was a lot of faith in scientific progress. 
7. I chose this building because when I first saw the name on the list I wanted to see it because it was in Belgium. I have always wanted to go there. Also because it looked like a toy I used to have as a kid, it was just a bunch of little plastic things in this exact shape so I was curious what this was supposed to represent. 

Turning Torso, Sweden

1. Santiago Calatrava
2. 2005
3. Malmo, Sweden
4. You can visit this place, but the owner only allows the public to go to one floor and it must be pre scheduled and on limited days.
5. Unknown
6. This building was built I think to be the first turning building as well as a living space. 
7. I chose this building because it really stands out with how tall it is and the fact that it looks like an allusion that its going to crash down or break somehow. The building itself twist which is really cool and unique. 

Burj Al Arab, Dubai, UAE

1. Tom Wright
2. 1999
3. An artificial island in Dubai
4. This is a hotel, so yes you can visit
5. It cost 1 billion dollars
6. This building was built to be a hotel.
7. I chose this building because its location is really appealing because its really tropical and isolated looking. The building itself is really cool because it reminds me of a sail shape and its just unique in its whole. 

Habitat 67, Canada

1. Moshe Safdie
2. 1967
3. Montreal, Canada
4. Yes you can visit, its an apartment complex
5. It cost $22,195,920
6. It was build for housing in a unique way
7. I chose this because I have never seen anything look even close to this. It looks like/kind of is just houses stacked on top of each other in odd ways that looks cool. It looks like a giant lego block formation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment